Megan's First Blog

Monday, August 18, 2014

The Clegg's "Boston Tea Party"

Last Thursday evening, Mom, Dad, Melina and I loaded the car and drove to the Salt Lake City Airport. I, who is known NOT to fly well, was well equipped with my Dramamine and headphones and off we flew to Boston, Massachusetts. My Grandma Dixie is currently serving an LDS mission at the Boston National Archives, scanning historic documents dating from the late 18th - early 19th century into the Family History website. Her birthday was the following Monday and we wanted to spend it with her. Melina and I were very excited to be taking a vacation with [NEARLY] our entire family (we'll get the Berning Bunch with us for the next road trip!) after so many years. Let the adventure begin!

We arrived late Friday morning - August 8th. After a 5 hour flight and trying to gain control of our jet lag, we decided on the most obvious choice: food. We found an iHop in Cambridge, near Harvard University. After eating, we walked around the campus. Holy BEAUTIFUL! I love the New England architecture. I love the tall, full trees that have witnessed so much of our nation's history. I love the spirit of intelligence and learning that exists among the students. What it would be to go to school in such an environment! 

Outside the Main Gates of Harvard University 



Mom sneaking pictures again....staring at the Harvard Library architecture 

After we couldn't stand it any longer, we drove to our hotel for some shut eye before meeting Grandma for dinner. Dad was our driver and somehow, I was deemed "designated navigator". Over the course of the trip, I fell completely in love with our rental car. If life goes my way, I will one day purchase a Black Chevrolet Equinox. We quickly learned that drivers in Boston are terrifying; to say the least. They sure are an...aggressive bunch.  Our hotel was strategically placed near a Target, which we utilized several times over our trip (Dr. Pepper, Diet Pepsi, Chocolate, Hair Spray...all necessary). After some much needed sleep, we met Grandma Dixie at her apartment. It was wonderful to see her after so long. I was so proud to see her wearing her black missionary name tag. We went to Panera Bakery for dinner. Very tasty - especially their M&M cookies.

Saturday, the 5 of us walked the Boston Freedom Trail. It was so delightful to take a "walk through history". Along the way, we visited Boston Commons, the Massachusetts State House, the King's Chapel, the site of the Boston Massacre, Faneuil Hall,  Paul Revere's home and grave site and the Old North Church. I firmly believe America came together from divine design. Throughout our walk, I was consistently reminded of how blessed I am to live in this great nation.
  

Papa Smurf LOVES Benjamin Franklin

Reading all about Faneuil Hall 

Faneuil Hall

I met my HERO along the way!

The site of the Boston Massacre 

The Declaration of Independence was first read to Bostonians on this balcony 

Only in Boston can you get a view like this

Paul Revere's Home  

The Old North Church

Members of the congregation would have needed to buy a "pew box" to attend church. Personally, I think this is something we should reconsider.... 

Look at those cuties! 



After dinner, we walked through Beacon Hill. Melina and I fell in love with this neighborhood. I'll take the home with the red door please!



I loved Sunday! After going to Grandma's ward, we drove to Salem, Massachusetts. I was beyond, jumping-in-my-seat, grinning-from-ear-to-ear, excited. My time had finally come to achieve my "Hocus Pocus" badge of honor and I was only to eager to begin. Salem is FASCINATING! I recommend it to everyone. 


 Melina and I had a little too much fun at the Hex: Old World Witchery Store 

 One of the Historic Homes from the Salem Witch Trial Era 

 The Witch Trials Memorial Site. There are 19 rock seats, 1 for each of the individuals killed during the 1692 Salem Witch Trials. Each of their names were engraved in the stone. The memorial is next to the Salem Graveyard. It was very moving.

Future "Mrs. Trophy Wives" hanging out with Samantha from Bewitched

Monday was MY day - Boston Museum Day! It was also Grandma's Birthday! The first thing we did was visit Grandma's "home-away-from home"; the Archives. We chatted with Sister Elmer, Grandma's missionary companion, and learned how they scan the images. 



Grandma Dixie and Sister Elmer

After the Archives, mom and Melina went to explore more of Boston. Grandma, Dad and I went to the Boston Museum. Oh, what wonder lies in art!




Mom's "Abstract Art" at the Dinner Table 

Grandma's birthday dinner was at the Atlantic Fish Company. I am not a "fish" person, but oh my goodness - one of the best meals ever. And our waiter...mmm, Melina and I agreed we'd move to Boston for him. He was...very enjoyable to have around ;) 



Boston was a wonderful trip! I'm so thankful we had the means to visit Grandma and spend her birthday together as a family. Cheers until next time, Boston!

Loves! 

1 comment: