Megan's First Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Just a Little HOCUS POCUS!

Halloween was just a witch of a time this year! And this time, I actually semi-participated in the festivities, beyond just cute craft decorations and apple cider. I’m so proud!

A couple weeks ago, I went on a double date to the Haunted Forest in American Fork. So much fun! I haven’t been to a haunted house since I was probably no older than 12 and I was terrified. I was pretty nervous going into this one, but I soon learned it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Such, such fun!
I’d love to give a shout out to my cute Grandma Dixie here because when I originally told her I was going on a date to the “Forest”, she replied “Have a great time in the haunted forest even though I can't think of one thing that would be fun about it, other than being with friends.” I love you, Grandma! We did, indeed, have a blast!

I happily played third wheel with my cute friends Taylor and Landon (just another married couple I've added to my ever growing list of no longer single friends) as we indulged in a little “Hocus Pocus”. No matter how old I get, I still turn into the wide eyed, gapped-tooth, active little 8 year old Megan when the Sanderson sisters come out to play. I love that movie! I also want on record that that night, I was also half forced / half bullied / half tricked via manipulation into eating an “Argentinian delicacy”-- cow tongue! I will admit that the taste itself wasn’t as bad as I was expecting; it was the consistency that made its appeal less than desirable. Despite Landon popping them into his mouth as if it was bubble gum, I did not need a second. I was very happy when he pulled out some homemade Nutella ice cream to cleanse the pallet a little bit. Much more tempting than the…”delicacy”.

As she's become known to my parents, "study abroad" Caroline and I made Halloween sugar cookies one night too! Despite a little "miscommunication" with the oven, they were still pretty cute. And okay, okay, yes we might have "feminized" a few of them. All in good fun, right?? 


A couple nights before Halloween, my other Caroline, Amber and Keira invited Taylor, Landon (what a trooper!) and I over for some Halloween celebrations and it was a hoot! We had a pumpkin carving contest and homemade caramel apples. While I have participated in the whole Jack-o-lantern thing, I have never actually carved a pumpkin myself; until last Tuesday that is. So this was quite the experience for me. Through great determination and inspiration from Pinterest, I give you…Broomhelda!


 She may not be Halloween’s Next Top Model, but she’s always up for a cackling good time and enjoys admiring her warts, having pumpkin seeds thrown in her hair (cough, cough Caroline!!) and daydreaming of the day she will find the spell to give her legs that will take her back home to Ireland. Taylor recreated “Wilson” from Cast Away and her dear husband, being the classy man that he is, made the front AND back of a cat. I will allow everyone to use their imagination….



It had been too long since we were all together and I’m glad we all got to spend a much needed evening together as friends.




Instead of being a normal 21 year old young adult, I opted out of the Halloween parties and drove up to Draper to spend the evening passing out candy to trick or treaters at my parent’s house. I hold NO regrets. On top of seeing just the cutest darn costumes a girl’s ever seen (next to my nephew, of course) and having a plethora of candy at my disposal (which I certainly indulged in!), I was reminded of how much I LOVE Draper and how much I LOVE to be home. Mom made homemade chili and Gluten-free corn bread. I had all, but forgotten what a home cooked meal tasted like! I got to see some old friends and leaders from my parent’s ward that I have greatly missed and greatly adore! It was, all in all, a spectacular and spook-a-licious evening!


 He was Peter Pan. AND he won his apartment complex's costume award. That's my boy!! 

Until next year, Happy Halloween!!

Loves!

P.S.
Although this is completely unrelated, Melina was going through her phone and found this beauty. When we spontaneously drove to San Francisco a couple years ago, we were walking through the Fishermen’s Warf and stopped in an old antique arcade. Clearly, I’m the next Rocky…;)







No comments:

Post a Comment