Megan's First Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

31ish Hours

I decided to name this blog 31ish Hours because it felt like the best way of representing how the life goes these days. 31 is the number of hours I spent working in the library last week. The “ish” is included because Saturday I might have been IN the library for 8 hours, but I was probably only PRODUCTIVE for about 4-5 of those hours. Oops...Hello, senior year! Hello, senior thesis! 

I've embraced the naked truth of what are my days and even, and perhaps most somberly, many of my evenings. From these dragged conclusions, and due to the nature of my need to plan everything, I laid in bed Sunday night (9 days ago) and began yet another elongated, mental grand task list for the impending school week that lied before me. I realized that if I had any hope of not being a cranky, little snot and scaring away all my friends with my sometimes unpleasant, “very stressed out, tired moods”, I would need some way of coping with the progressive fatigue and anxiety that has become my life. 

So, with this thought in mind, I decided right then and there, as I lay curled up in my twin size apartment provided bed and listening to the fantastically soothing John Mayer, that I would keep track of all the delightful tender mercies that happened to me each day. This way I would be reminded that despite the fact I’m potentially a big, fat FOOL for pursuing higher education, I would still know that someone was watching out for me. While I was not always successful in maintaining a round the clock "happy" mood, counting my blessings certainly helped the situation a bit.  And it’s these tender mercies that I've decided to devote the rest of this post too:

Monday:
Monday morning came bright and early and with it was the list of “to-do’s” at work. One of those boxes in need of being checked was wrapping each of the Preschool / Kindergarten children individual books for their Christmas presents from teachers. If you don’t know this already, my favorite time of the year is Christmas. I love the holidays! I feel like it’s when I’m most happy. So, I turned on Bing Crosby and Mannheim Steamroller for some pleasant background music as I wrapped lots and lots…and lots of Corduroy books. It was perfect.

60 down, 60 more to go!

Southern Comfort Eggnog. Enough said.
  
Tuesday:
I got to spend a couple hours with the artist I am focusing my senior thesis on. His name is Trevor Southey and he is one of those people that I walked away from wanting to see again. Trevor is about 76 years old and is suffering from cancer and Parkinson’s. Still, that hasn't damaged his spirits and he is still working everyday on his art. He has such a unique perspective on life and religion and relationships and was an absolute delight to spend time with. I picked him up from his home and we drove to the Kneaders at Riverwoods where we discussed art and beauty over some comfort food. He even gave me a copy of his “coffee table” art book as a thank you for having interest in his work. Little does Trevor know that I am the one who is grateful for him.

What could I possibly find more motivating than discovering a painting (COMPLETELY by accident) by my artist hanging on the second floor of the library?! It was fate.  

When I got home from the library late Tuesday night, there was a lovely plate of goodies and a handwritten note on my kitchen table with (shockingly) my name on it! It looks like the treats were some homemade Kris Krispie Treats. The card was very nice and I’m suspecting visiting teachers, but the jury is still up. Anonymous treat and love note giver: THANK YOU! I bet your treats were wonderful, but I never got to try them because the plate mysteriously disappeared from the table the next morning. But it’s the thought that counts and I’ll take it!    


 Wednesday:
The first tender mercy came in the form of a parking spot. For those familiar with Zoobie land, you will agree with me when I say parking is not always idyllic. In fact, it’s NEVER idyllic. I was running behind for work and was nervous I would be late because I’d have to park far away – even at 7:15 a.m.! Much to my surprise, there was a very unoccupied spot right in front of the lot. Happy Wednesday!

On Wednesday’s, I have classes from 1-9 p.m. with only a one hour break from 5-6 p.m. It makes for a long day. However, my senior thesis class got out early, which allowed me enough time to go home, eat an actual supper and breathe for a moment. Thank you Martha Peacock, thank you!  

This display has currently taken residency in the Art History Department of the Jesse Knight Building. Upon closer inspection I noticed this gem.... 

...family members can testify that I have said this VERY thing long before it was EVER posted on campus. I'm not pleased. My genius plan to find my "Noah" or "Logan" is going to be ruined!! Errr...

Thursday:
Temple Thursday has become a favorite for me. Caroline and I have officially reached the status of “regulars” and it makes me very happy. It’s certainly humbly to know I can provide service for those on both sides of the veil.

The Clegg’s love food. Being that I am indeed a member of the crazy clan, I enjoy myself a nice meal now and again. And when it can be coupled with fantastic company, there will be no complaints coming from me.  Amelia, my other half at work, and I went on a dinner date to CafĂ© Rio and let me tell you, that creamy house dressing and sweet pork will be my saving grace every time. So. Good.  

Our "Thankful Tree" at work

Mia added this gem Thursday night. I was dubbed the nickname "Mini-Me" 5 days after we met over a year ago. The more we get to know each other, the more we find it's freakishly true! 


Sometimes it's nice to be appreciated at work. Thanks for the sweet compliment, Chloe!  

Friday:
It rained today! Yes, it might be sincerely atrocious to some; it’s purely splendid for me. I love the cold; I love bundling up in sweaters, boots and scarves with cherry noses and gusts of smoky air about as conversations emerge. I love the chill in the air; the sounds of droplets hitting my umbrella. It’s a more “chilly” sort of comfort, but a pleasure no less.

After a long week of typing and researching and editing, sometimes a girl could only need some mindless entertainment to heal some of the brain cells. So tender mercy number….a lot is in the form of Netflix’s and Amazon Prime! Just...bless you!! :)

Saturday:

Running around the atrium stairs on the first floor is an excellent way to relieve stress. I learned this Saturday…and so did the people that watched me do it over. And over. And over again. So, I guess you can say my tender mercy for the day was the ability to have strong legs that carried me around those stairs so, so much. 


I also discovered that some necessities for a productive night at the library are as follows: first, leggings and a big sweatshirt or sweater. Second, David Lanz on Pandora. Just…trust me. Third, snacks. I recommend Oreos (yes, mom, I ate them. My stomach didn't hurt that bad though so it was okay. And I needed them real bad!!) and Dr. Pepper. Fourth and last, post-its and multiple highlighters for easy color coding of notes. Have those 4 things and you will leave with success.

I did not write this...but I did not stop it from happening either. Guilty...

Here’s to surviving until December 19th!

Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment