Megan's First Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Twenty-12!

Happy New Year! I hate to be so corny, but as most well know, I am, so I won’t feel silly when I say I LOVE this time of year! I love the feeling of starting something new; perhaps a new adventure, a new relationship, a new semester, or a new chapter of life. Whatever it is, we have the option, the choice, to decide whatever happens next and if that be not the case, we choose how we’ll handle whatever happens next. It’s a new year. It’s a time to sit down and reflect on the years’ past and determine how and where we go with the next. Here’s to a new year; here’s to 2012!
3 mornings ago, I was sitting in yet another hospital waiting room for what seemed like another appointment that was going to get me nowhere. After already seeing the doctor and getting more lab work done, I was tired and ready to go home. I leaned my head back against the wall and shut my eyes while a steam of profanities ran through my mind (I won’t deny, it’s nothing short of the truth). Besides the normal feelings you get from being in a hospital, my eyes were baggy and my body was pale because of what seemed like unbearable tension and strain that overwhelmed me. Winter semester at Brigham Young University had started the day previous and yet I was still battling the decision between staying in Provo or moving away for the next 13 weeks with my sister to San Diego or New York City. The decision was mine, yet I had no idea what to do. I kept praying to the Lord for guidance and I finally realized that He was letting me take the ropes on this one; I needed to make the decision for myself. (Me being me, I did not like that answer! In this case, I just wanted to be told what to do, when to do it. Darn answer to prayers!) Anywho, as I battled back and forth, I kept watching the different patients go in and out of offices and senior citizens trying to figure out how to use the “self-check in” kiosks. With my head in my hand, my eyes starting to glisten, and what I call “yoga breaths” in motion, I weighed the pros and cons of each choice. Almost everyone within a few years of my age think I’d be a total idiot for not pursuing this great adventure with my sister. My parents, on the other hand, had other ideas in mind. Not to discredit Provo, but it hasn’t been a place I’ve wanted to be in lately. The idea of “running away” from MRI’s, heart monitors, midterms, drama, and singles wards sounded purely delightful! (again, not that those things are always a bad thing). With my health where it is, I didn’t think I could handle a big school load. So what do I do? I lifted my head up and saw the many people who what looked to me, would never have the option to pause life and take a 3 month vacation from life. Not too many can. I’m pretty lucky to even have the choice of doing so. To fast forward to present, I’m sitting on my bed in Provo hoping I made the right decision. While living in NYC would be amazing, I don’t think my parents nor could my bank account handle such an adventure, at least right now. I’m going to school part time this semester; 5 easy-peasy credit hours on Monday and Wednesday afternoons. I’m taking two classes that actually interest me: Italian Renaissance and Doctrine and Covenants. I currently have two jobs, but I’m on the hunt for job number 3 and possibly job number 4. I’ll be perfectly honest here, I have absolutely not a clue what I’m doing, but as my new clock says, “the BEST thing about the future is that it comes ONE day at a TIME.” A dear friend of mine, Elder Orson, told me quite matter-of-factly that it doesn’t matter what anyone says or does so long as you’re doing what’s best for you. I love that boy! These missionaries are in different countries and speaking different languages, but they still know how to take care of me abroad. Thank you!
Today, I've begun to write down my New Year resolutions for this upcoming year. I look forward to what this new year brings me. So here we go Utah County. Megan’s here for another semester. Whatever, will happen next?

Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment